Our website uses cookies so that we can provide a better service. Continue to use the site as normal if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.


An embankment licence is required where it is proposed to permanently embank land, for example where a new river wall is proposed to be constructed in front of an existing river wall. It may be necessary to apply for an embankment licence and a river works licence at the same time if the proposed works result in the permanent embankment of land.


The following should be provided when applying for an Embankment Licence:

Related: Frequently asked questions about the licensing process